Friday, April 20, 2012

Conversation between a Character and a Reporter

Reporter: Hello, Mr. Bollier. I would like to ask you some questions pertaining to your experience on The Moonlight. I know this incident happened more than twenty years ago, but I want you to answer my questions as accurately as you can. Ready?

JB: Yes, I would be glad to.

Reporter: From right now looking back, what can you tell me impacted you the most on that ship?

JB: The slaves and the dehumanization of the captives really impacted me and it caused me to even rethink my own morals and the innocent view I had on slavery before any of it happened. I was just another thirteen year old boy who lived within the confines of my mother's boundaries and nothing hit me as shocking or as dehabilitating as the treatment of the slaves and the fact that I indirectly took a part in the happenings.

Reporter: And how exactly did you take part in the handling of slaves on the ship?

JB: Well, as you know I was kidnapped and taken onboard The Moonlight to play for the slaves and for the entertainment of the crew. The crew needed someone who could play music, so the slaves could get their daily exercise and dance to the tunes I would play on my fife.

Reporter: Do you still have that fife?

JB: No, it perished along with everything else when the big storm came.

Reporter: Is there anything else you want to add?

JB: Well, actually, there is one thing that still haunts me to this day.

Reporter: And what is that?

JB: Music. I honestly can't stand listening to any music at all. The fife still haunts me as well as any musical note or tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment